We are organising a meet-up about FIRE (you know: Financial Independence and/or Retire Early). Please have a look, perhaps you could be interested.
[Note: Interested in a meetup but in Spanish language? Great! Please, send us an email, we would like it as well]
Deadline for applications: Monday 19th August.
The event will take place in Madrid (Spain) over one week and will include presentations, workshops, discussion sessions and of course lots of free time for informal discussions. Come and join us.
The aim is to organise something similar to the FIWE 2019 (Budapest).
The core of the meetup will be on Friday and Saturday (18-19/Oct). In addition, there is the possibility to extend the meetup a few days (20-23/Oct), the so-called “FIWE extra”.
We aim to have a pan-European audience (non Europeans are also welcome, and Spanish as well!), and therefore we prefer to use English as main language. In addition, one of the co-organisers is not Spanish.
We are Morten (the best Viking in town), and Willyfog (or Will and Fog, or Mr and Mrs).
Financial independence, investing, geoarbitrage, lifestyle design, and minimalism. Just an excuse to get people together and exchange experiences. Everything you wanted to discuss, but you did not find with whom.
In Madrid, city centre. Exact place is still to be decided.
Core meeting: Friday 18th and Saturday 19th October 2019.
Extra meeting, for those willing to get more: from Sunday 20th to Wednesday 23th October 2019.
How to get there?
By train, by airplane. Once in town, the best choice is to use the Metro.
Where to stay?
Madrid is a big city, and very touristic. There are plenty of possibilities. The city centre could be more expensive. External neighbourhoods, having Metro stations, could be more convenient.
How much will it cost?
We are going to ask for some money for the basic needs: renting the venue (which will include some snacks and drinks). And nothing else, we want to keep the cost to the minimum level. In general (accommodation, meals) will remain at your own cost.
We aim at 20 euros per person (exact amount still to be decided)
Who can participate?
The event is open to everyone interested in financial independence, minimalism and generally living a meaningful, mindful life. Everyone who’s bursting with ideas but has no-one to share them with in their immediate surroundings. Everyone who’s looking for like-minded people to hang out with for a few days. Everyone who wants to finally be able to talk freely about FI, investing, minimalism and how they envision (or are already living) their financially free life.
We aim to have a maximum of 25 participants.
How do I apply?
If you think “FIRE in Madrid” is for you, send us a short video telling us about yourself:
- Why do you want to come to “FIRE in Madrid”?
- How did you first find out about FI and what’s been your experience with it so far?
- What are your interests? What are you passionate about? What do you want to do with your life once you reach FI? (Or, if you’re already FI, what does your life look like now?)
- Do you want to hold a presentation, workshop or case study during the event? If so, give us a brief introduction to your topic.
Deadline: Monday 19/August.
We will come back to all applicants about one week after the deadline.
Here are some tips for your application:
- The reason we prefer video applications over e-mails is that we get a much better idea of you as a person through a video than through an e-mail. If you really don’t want to record a video, you can send us an audio recording but if you don’t want to do that either, you can apply by e-mail but be warned that we’re more likely to accept people who’ve applied by video or audio recording. Note that we won’t share application videos or audio recordings with anyone outside the jury.
- Videos should be about 2 minutes long, but this is just a guideline and you shouldn’t stress if your video is longer or shorter than this.
- The video is not a job interview. You don’t have to list all the investing experience you have and everywhere you’ve worked to convince us that you know enough about investing to participate in the event. We’re much more interested in why you’re interested in FI in the first place.
If you apply by video, please upload your video to a platform where we can watch it without downloading it, for example:
- vimeo: with password protection – don’t forget to e-mail us the password
- YouTube: set your video to “not listed” and send us the link
- Dropbox: just send us the link
Important: Please also send us an e-mail the link to your video so that we have your e-mail address and can reply to your application.
If you apply by audio recording, just attach your recording to an e-mail and send it to us.
How could I contribute?
It would be great if you could give a presentation about your favourite FIRE topic. 30 minutes presenting and 30 minutes for Q&A could be the standard choice. Topics could be investing, reducing living expenses, minimalism, a similar.
What could I visit?
Before and/or after the event you may want to spend some time visiting Madrid. This is the local government tourist information website. You will find information there about museums, food and drink, and parks to visit.
Info from Lonely Planet.
Two relevant places near Madrid (they both are UNESCO World Heritage Sites):
- the city of Segovia (at 100km), with a very particular architecture, and
- El Escorial (at 45km). A monastery, royal palace, and many more.
- More day trips.
Please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org